5 Tips to Keep Your Pet Safe During Halloween | Urban Wildlife

Title (Max 100 Characters)

5 Tips to Keep Your Pet Safe During Halloween
Urban Wildlife

The Jacksonville Humane Society (JHS) is reminding pet owners to protect their animals this Halloween.

“While Halloween is really fun for people, it can be truly scary for cats and dogs,” said Leona Sheddan, executive director of the Jacksonville Humane Society.  “Many animals get sick or go missing during holidays, especially ones like Halloween when families are repeatedly opening the door to trick-or-treaters.”

JHS offers the following tips to keep your pet safe this Halloween:

1.  Don’t feed your pet chocolate.  Chocolate and candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can be toxic for pets.  If your animal ingests chocolate or another toxin, contact your veterinarian immediately.

2.  Keep your pet away from electrical wires and cords.  Many Halloween decorations are electronic and can cause harm to pets that chew on electrified wires and cords.  Pets can suffer cuts, burns or even electrical shock.

3.  Ensure your pet’s costume is safe.  Pet costumes should not constrict a dog or cat’s breathing, movement, hearing or ability to bark or meow.  Make sure the costume doesn’t have small or dangling objects your pet could chew off and choke on.

4.  Keep pets inside in a quiet place during trick-or-treating.  Strangers, especially those dressed in costume, can be very scary for pets.  Many animals will try to run from these strangers, often getting lost.  Put your dog or cat in a separate area of the house where he or she can not see the Halloween festivities and is not at risk of escaping from your home.  Remember to also leave your pet at home in a quiet place if you go out trick-or-treating.

5.  Ensure your pet’s ID is current.  Your pet should always have proper identification including a collar, tags and a microchip.  Make sure the information on the tag and the details registered with the microchip company include your current address and phone number in case your pet should go missing.

Should your pet ingest something foreign or toxic, contact your veterinarian immediately.  If your animal goes missing, file a report with the City of Jacksonville’s Animal Care & Protective Services (ACPS) by calling 904.630.CITY and visit our Web site at www.jaxhumane.org for more lost-pet resources.  If you find a dog or cat, you should take the pet to ACPS.

Urban Wildlife

Springfield Deals

Springfield Businesses